Wednesday, March 20, 2013



Oh my how things can change is such a short time. I feel that I've been through a real huge process of exploration as an artist. I kept calling it a mid-life-crisis thing and criticizing but now I realize that this process is really necessary to being a complete artist - one that grows and doesn't just please the regular customers or satisfy what is expected of them but those that are fresh. Now I do worry that I seem unfocused but what's interesting is that these wonderful ladies, deep in thought perched upon rocks I found in a local mountain river have come out of it all. I strayed from the figurative salt and peppers that I'd been known for for years to sculptural mugs to simple message mugs (from a commission piece at the holidays) to come full circle back to my signature figurative work. I'm finally leaving the functionality behind in these pieces - something my customers and fans have begged me for for years - and created a simple sculpture that brings pleasure by sitting upon a shelf . . . I'm proud of myself for leaving my comfort zone and love that I seem to have come back to my original style of work. I plan to create masses of work of simply what moves me with no intent upon "what will sell" and create w/ integrity that is true to my existence. I plan to give these women a voice and an identity so that the viewer/ buyer is really inviting a person of sorts into their home. 
Thanks for following me on my artist journey. 
I always strive to be real - creating intuitively so that some fundamental energy that is within me into a tangible form. I think that we all have a common thread running through us and that this is one of the purest ways of tapping into that force. 
until next time,
j

No comments:

Post a Comment