Friday, August 31, 2012

Breaking Rules is Fun

So those of you that know me know that I've always been a rule follower and a pleaser . . . but it's strange how art or creative outlets have always been an area where I stray from what I'm "supposed" to do and do whatever I want.
Clay people would die if they knew how I worked. I don't do many of the things that are typical good practice and it seems to be working out just fine doing it how I am. Of course I learned the proper ways but one thing I've always loved about clay (vs sewing for instance where you seem to have to follow a pattern, iron, pin . . . not my strong points - very sloppy worker - and fast too) is that it's so forgiving.
I work right out of the bag without weighing or wedging. I tack things on way after I should. I use old clay scraps right off the wheel . . . Sure, there's occasional cracking or even explosions but the style in which I work suits me and it's worth it to sacrifice a few for the greater good.
I have been so ultra productive now that the kids are back in school - it's like I've been chomping at the bit to get my hands dirty again and now that I can, I'm on fire!
The new work coming out of my studio is some of the best I've ever made if you ask me.
After a disappointing teaching interview falling through for this year, I've decided to make more than a teacher's salary this calendar year and I really believe that I can between etsy, woolworth and shows.
Going to think positively and see what happens. Hold on tight because here I go!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment